In the node detail page
Majjige Huli (Vegetables Simmered In Curd)
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Low
Don’t add fried pakoras but one can add boiled vegetables . The best way of enjoying Majjige Huli is with steamed rice and aralu sandige. Majjige Huli is a vegetable and dal dish cooked in a buttermilk base, so in that sense is similar to the kadhi of Maharashtra and Gujarat. If you do not wish to use a grinder/blender, add in some chopped chillies along with the vegetables and just put them on boil.
- 33688 views
Majjige Huli is a South Indian dish prepared using milk curd. It is one of the authentic Kannadiga dishes and a sure find at any of the state’s festive feasts, especially during Sankranti. Majjige Huli uses a select variety of vegetables and is usually savoured with rice. Only a single vegetable is used in this unique dish. This dish is different from Udupi.
- Pumpkin (kaddu) (3 cups)
- Split chickpeas (chana dal) (3 tsp)
- Coconut, grated (3 tsp)
- Green chillies (hari mirch) (3 to 4)
- Coriander (dhania) leaves, chopped (¼ cup )
- Salt (to taste)
- Curd (dahi) (1 cup churned with 1 cup of water)
- Oil (2 tsp)
- Mustard seeds (sarson) (½ tsp)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) (1 tsp)
- Asafoetida (hing) (¼ tsp)
- Curry leaves (kadipatta) (4 to 5)
- Ginger (adrak) (1 tsp)
- Soak the chana dal in ¼-cup of water for 20 minutes.
- Steam the pumpkin either using a pressure cooker .
- Make a smooth paste of the grated coconut, soaked chana dal, green chillies, ginger and salt.
- In a pan, mix together the cooked pumpkin and the ground coconut mixture. Stir in 1 cup of water, turn on the heat and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
- The curry should soon begin to thicken. At that point, stir in the buttermilk and keep boiling for another minute. Turn off the flame.
- Heat oil in a small sauce pan. Add in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida. Once this mix begins to crackle, add it into the curry.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
What are you craving for?