In the node detail page
- Duration: 45 minutes
- Serves: 4 people
Spice Level: Medium
All you need are some fresh berries, dry-fruits or stone fruits to make this aromatic and mildly sweet rice dish.
- 4545 views
Kashmiri Pulao is an aromatic, mild and sweet rice dish. This pulao is enriched with plenty of dry-fruits, saffron and the caramelized onions resulting in a burst of flavors in each bite.
- Basmati rice (2 cups)
- Cinnamon (dalchini) (1 stick)
- Caraway seeds (shah jeera) (1 tsp)
- Bay leaf (tej patta) (1)
- Cloves (laung) (2)
- Green cardamoms (hari elaichi) ( 2)
- Black cardamom (badi elaichi) ( 1)
- Dry ginger powder (saunth) (1/2 tsp)
- Fennel (saunf) powder ( 1 tsp)
- Crushed saffron (kesar) (1 tsp) (1 tsp)
- Oil or ghee (4 tbsp)
- Salt ( to taste)
- Onion, thinly sliced (1)
- Cashews (kaju), sliced (10–12)
- Almonds (badam), sliced (10–12)
- Walnuts (akharot) (10–12)
- Dried apricot (khubani), chopped (10–12)
- Raisins (kishmish) (8–10)
- Wash and soak rice in water for 30 mins.
- Heat 2 tbs ghee in a pan. Sauté the sliced onion till deep brown in colour. Set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté dry fruits one by one and set aside in a plate.
- Add the remaining ghee in the same pan and heat.
- Stir in the whole spices and fry till the aroma of the spices is released.
- Now reduce the heat and add ginger and fennel powder. Stir to combine.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice and add it to the pan.
- Next, add crushed saffron and sauté for a minute.
- Add enough water to cook the rice (approximately 2–3 cups). Season with salt. Stir and cover the pan tightly.
- Cook the rice till all of the water is absorbed and the rice is fully cooked. Turn off the heat.
- Fluff the rice using a fork or slotted spoon.
- Garnish with fried onion and dry-fruits. Serve Kashmiri pulao warm.