In the node detail page
Kashmiri Dum Aloo
- Duration: 40 minutes
- Serves: 2-3 people
Spice Level: High
Make sure to whisk the yogurt till smooth before pouring it into the gravy. After all, no one wants to taste a lump of yogurt whilst savouring this spicy Kashmiri delicacy.
- 2971 views
A perfect recipe for winters or monsoon, Kashmiri Dum Aloo is delicious especially when accompanied by a bowl of yogurt. The flavour of this spicy curry comes from whole spices.
- Baby potatoes (aloo) (500 gm)
- Salt (to taste)
- MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder (2 tsp)
- Ginger powder (1/2 tbsp)
- Fennel (saunf) powder (1 tbsp)
- Caraway seeds (shah jeera) (1 tsp)
- Cinnamon (dalchini) (1 stick)
- Cloves (laung) ( 2)
- Black cardamom (badi elaichi) (1)
- Black peppercorns (kali mirch) (1/4 tsp)
- Green cardamom (elaichi) (2)
- Yogurt (dahi) (6 tbsp)
- Mustard oil (2 cups + 2 tsp)
- Rinse the baby potatoes; boil them in a pan till they are just cooked through. Make sure they do not turn mushy.
- Once cooked, drain the water and allow the potatoes to cool at room temperature.
- If you prefer, peel the skin of the potatoes else leave it intact.
- With a fork or skewer, poke holes in the potatoes.
- Simultaneously, whisk the yogurt till is smooth. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tsp MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder with water to form a paste.
- In a pan, heat 2 cups of mustard oil over high heat till it reaches smoking point.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the parboiled potatoes. Deep-fry them on low to medium heat till they turn light golden and crisp. Place them on kitchen towels.
- Now heat 2 tbs mustard oil in a pan over medium heat and add the chilli powder paste to it.
- Next, fold in the whisked yogurt. With a spoon or wire whisk, mix continuously, so that the curd does not split. Add in 2–3 cups of water and stir until well blended.
- Add fennel powder, ginger powder, salt and whole spices. Stir to combine and then add fried potatoes.
- Cover the pan tightly with a lid and cook the Kashmiri dum aloo for 8–10 mins on low to medium flame. Check consistency, the gravy should be thick.
- Serve the delicious dish with girda or Kashmiri pulao.