In the node detail page
Vagharelo Bhaat/Gujarati Masala Bhaat
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Medium
Remember to always stir the rice very carefully to ensure that the grains do not break.
- 4385 views
Masala Bhaat is the flavourful Gujarati version of the ubiquitous vegetable pulao. It is usually prepared using leftover rice that has been cooked in a spicy buttermilk mix. It is a popular winter dish, and is often served to children to help treat any seasonal ailments.
- Basmati rice (1 cup)
- Clarified butter (ghee) (3 tbsp)
- Cloves (laung) (2)
- Cinnamon (dalchini) (1)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) (½ tsp)
- Asafoetida (hing) (a pinch)
- Potato, cubed (½ cup)
- Green peas (hari matar) (½ cup)
- MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder (1 tsp)
- MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- MTR Garam Masala (½ tsp)
- Salt (to taste )
- Wash the rice and then soak it in sufficient water for at least 30 mins.
- Drain and keep aside. You could also use cooked, leftover rice.
- In a kadhai, heat ghee and then, add in the laung, dalchini and jeera. As the jeera begins to crackle, add in the hing, cubed potatoes, green peas, and salt. Keep sautéing for 3 to 4 mins.
- Now, add in MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder, MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder, MTR Garam Masala and rice. Mix carefully so that the rice grains do not crumble. Keep sautéing on a medium flame for another 5 mins and then pour in some water. Mix well.
- Cover with a lid and let the mix simmer till the rice has cooked through. Stir intermittently.
- Serve hot with fresh curd.