In the node detail page
Surti Papdi Nu Shaak
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Low
In case you do not find the particular variety of flat beans used in Gujarat, you can use any locally-available version instead. To ensure that the fresh green colour and smooth texture of the beans remain intact after cooking as well, apply some salt and soda onto the beans about an hour before the preparation of this dish.
- 10357 views
Surti Papdi Nu Shaak is a popular Gujarati dry-vegetable dish that is made using flat beans (sem). It is a simple, easy-to-make winter dish.
- Flat Indian beans (surti papdi), chopped (1 cup)
- Garlic (lehsun) paste (1 tsp)
- MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder (1 tsp)
- MTR Jeera/Cumin Powder (½ tsp)
- Oil (1 tbsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Wash and cut the beans.
- In a bowl, put the chopped beans and then add salt, water and baking soda to it. Keep aside for some time. Drain the water and transfer the vegetables to a separate plate.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and add the garlic, ginger and chilli paste to it. Keep stirring for a few seconds and then add in the MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder and beans.
- Keep stirring and cooking for about 2 minutes. Then, add in MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder and MTR Jeera/Cumin Powder and stir well. Cook with a lid on, stirring intermittently till the beans become tender.
- Serve Surti Papdi Nu Shaak with chappatis.