In the node detail page
Karela Batata Fry
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Zero
It is a good idea to use fresh, small karelas for this recipe as they tend to turn crisper while being fried.
- 631 views
Karela Batata Fry is a crispy, mildly spicy vegetarian recipe from the kitchens of Gujarat. This recipe makes for one of the best side dishes to the main Gujarati fare.
- Bitter gourd (karela), de-seeded, peeled and cut into long strips (4)
- Potato, cut into long strips (2)
- Salt (to taste)
- MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) powder (1 tsp)
- Lemon juice (½ tsp)
- Sugar powder (1 tsp)
- Thoroughly wash and peel the karela. Then, cut them into long strips and de-seed them. Keep aside.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into long strips as well.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and keep frying the karela strips in it till it has turned crisp. Place them on a kitchen paper towel to drain off any excess oil.
- Similarly fry the long strip potatoes and keep aside.
- Mix the fried karela with the fried potatoes.
- Sprinkle some MTR Lal Mirch/RedChilli Powder, salt, jeera powder, sugar and lemon juice onto the fried pieces.
- Mix well and serve hot.