In the node detail page
Bhindi Ka Salan
- Serves: people
Bhindi ka salan is a thick spicy-tangy gravy dish. Make sure to wash and pat dry okra before deep frying. Add slightly sour curd to give this dish its authentic sour taste.
- 1056 views
Salan in Urdu means curry, bhindi salan is a beloved dish of the City of Nawabs, Lucknow, served usually with biryani. Even though mirch ka salan is the most popular among all salan recipes, the bhindi ka salan or the fried okra/ladies finger in a tangy yoghurt preparation is popular in Uttar Pradesh.
- Okra (bhindi), cut into half (15)
- Curd (dahi), whisked (1 cup)
- Salt (to taste)
- Oil (for frying )
- MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder (1/4 tsp)
- MTR Dhaniya/Coriander Powder (1/2 tsp)
- MTR Jeera/Cumin Powder (1/4 tsp)
- MTR Kali Mirch/Black Pepper Powder (1/4 tsp)
- MTR Special Garam Masala (1/2 tsp)
- Oil (1 tsp)
- Mustard seeds (sarson) (1/2 tsp)
- Curry leaves (kadipatta) (10)
- Green chilli (hari mirch), slit lengthwise into half ( 1)
- Ginger-garlic (adrak-lehsun) paste (1 tsp)
- Onion (1 thinly sliced lengthwise)
- Wash, pat dry and cut the okra.
- Heat oil and deep fry bhindis till crisp. Drain them on a tissue/kitchen towel.
- In a bowl, whisk curd and add all the spice powders, mix well and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wide pan and temper with ingredients given ‘for tempering’ over low flame.
- Once the onions start browning, add the prepared curd mixture and let it come to a boil.
- Add the fried bhindi, mix and switch off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves or mint leaves.
- Your delicious bhindi ka salan is ready to be served as side dish to flatbreads or with steaming hot rice.