In the node detail page
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Low
Take care to quickly start mixing after adding the besan batter to avoid the formation of lumps.
- 1424 views
Zunka is a traditional recipe that is prepared using besan paste which is then cooked with onions and lots of spices. It is a very popular dish in the Karnataka-Maharashtra border area.
- Gram flour (besan) (1 cup)
- Onion, finely chopped (2)
- Black mustard (sarson ) (1 tsp)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) (1 tsp)
- MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder (1 tsp)
- MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- Garlic (lehsun), finely chopped (1 tsp)
- Dry red chillies (sabut lal mirch) (2)
- Oil (2 tsp)
- Coriander leaves (hara dhania) (2 tsp)
- Curry leaves (kadipatta) (3 to 4)
- In a deep-bottomed bowl, add in the besan along with some water to make a smooth mixture. Also toss in the MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder, MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder, hara dhania and kadi patta. Mix well.
- In a kadhai, heat the oil. Then, toss in the sarson, jeera, sukhi lal mirch, chopped garlic and keep cooking till the garlic has changed colour.
- Next, add in the chopped onions and keep cooking till their colour has changed to brown.
- Now, quickly mix in the besan mixture.
- Add in salt and keep stirring briskly for about 5 mins, or till all the water has evaporated.
- Zunka is now ready to be relished with bhakri.