In the node detail page
Vankaya Vepudu (Brinjal Stir Fry)
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Serves: 2–4 people
Use small purple brinjals for best results. You can omit onion and garlic, as per your taste, the rest of the recipe remains the same.
- 3859 views
Vankaya vepudu has an important place in a typical Andhra meal, especially on festive days or for wedding feasts. During Ugadi, lunch is considered incomplete without this stir-fry.
- Brinjal, cut into quarters (2 cup)
- MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder (1tsp)
- MTR Dhaniya/Coriander Powder (1tsp)
- Cumin seeds powder (jeera) (1-2 tsp)
- Onion, finely chopped (1)
- MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder (1tsp)
- Oil (2 tbsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- For Tempering (1 tsp)
- Mustard seeds (sarson) (10-12 leaves)
- Curry leaves (kadi patta) (4-5)
- For paste (1)
- Garlic cloves (2 tbsp)
- Heat oil in a kadhai, add sarson. As it pops, add kadi patta and onions and sauté for 3 mins.
- Add cut brinjals and stir-fry them for 5–6 mins without a lid. Stir-fry in between to ensure they don’t burn or stick to the kadhai.
- Add the ground ginger–garlic–coconut paste and combine well. Add salt and MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder. Sauté without lid for 4–5 mins till the rawness of the paste disappears. Add MTR Dhaniya/Coriander Powder, jeera powder and MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder and stir well.
- Place a lid over the kadhai and reduce flame. Cook till the brinjals turn soft. Turn off the flame.
- Adjust salt as per taste and serve with hot rice and ghee.