In the node detail page
Urad Dal Rice (Ullundu Sadam)
- Duration: 10 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Zero
Remember to dry-roast the dal, as it will then give off a heady flavour and also get cooked quicker.
- 1430 views
This is a famous lunch combo that goes well with sesame seeds and avial, and is especially relished in the Tirunelveli district of Tamil Nadu. It is traditionally fed to teenage girls when they hit puberty, as the dish is believed to have bone-strengthening properties.
- Rice (1 cup)
- Whole black gram (sabut urad dal) (½ cup)
- Coconut, grated (¼ cup)
- Garlic (lahsun) (15 cloves)
- Salt (to taste)
- Water (3 cups)
- Heat oil in a kadhai and fry the urad dal in it for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Take it off the flame and in a deep-bottomed vessel, thoroughly wash the dal and rice together.
- In a pressure cooker, toss in the washed rice, dal, garlic cloves, grated coconut, salt and the required amount of water.
- Cook on a low flame, timing it to 2 whistles.
- Serve piping hot with ghee and sesame chutney.