In the node detail page
Sukhi Chana Dal
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Low
To make sure that the chana dal cooks faster, it is best to pre-soak it in water for at least 2 hours. In case it becomes thick, add in some boiled water after the tempering and simmer for some more time. If in case it is thin, then keep simmering for a longer time, till you get the right consistency.
- 2002 views
Sukhi Chana Dal is a dry dal prepared by cooking split Bengal gram with onions, tomatoes, chillies and other spices. This Punjabi dish is best enjoyed with parathas.
- Split chickpeas (chana dal) (2 cups)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) (1 tsp)
- Bay leaves (tejpatta) (2)
- Cinnamon (dalchini) (1-inch, 2 to 3)
- Cloves (laung) (3)
- Onions, finely chopped (1, large)
- MTR Haldi Turmeric Powder (1 tsp)
- MTR Lal Mirch Red Chilli powder (1 tsp)
- Ghee (2 tsp)
- Lemon juice (½ tsp)
- Coriander (hara dhania), chopped (½ cup)
- Salt (to taste)
- Thoroughly wash the dal and soak it in water for half-an-hour.
- Next, pressure-cook the dal in 4 cups of water, timing it to 3 whistles. Keep aside.
- In a kadhai, heat the ghee and toss in the tejpatta, laung, dalchini and jeera. As the jeera begins to crackle, add in the chopped onions and keep frying till they have turned brown.
- Next, add in the cooked dal, salt and spices. Simmer the dal for a few minutes.
- Garnish with hara dhania leaves and stir in the lemon juice.
- Serve hot with roti, poorie, paratha or butter naan.
What are you craving for?
Maintained by: @The Digital Street