In the node detail page
Seven Cup Burfi
- Duration: 25 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Zero
For the best results, the burfi should be cut when still warm. One also needn’t dry-roast the besan/chickpea flour beforehand as the flour gets cooked along with the burfi. The final colour of the burfi should be similar to the colour of besan and the top of the burfi should look slightly uneven.
- 1278 views
The Seven Cup Burfi may resemble the softer version of the Mysore paak but is in fact vastly different in taste, texture and colour. The amount of ghee used in this burfi is also far lower than in the more well-known Mysore paak. It looks like a hard burfi because it holds its shape well, but is actually soft to bite. And as the name suggests, this burfi is made with 7 ingredients used in equal measure, except, of course, for the sugar.
- Gram flour (besan) (1 cup)
- Desi ghee (1 cup + 2 tsp)
- Freshly grated coconut (1 cup)
- Milk (1 cup)
- Sugar (3 cups)
- Green cardamom (hari elaichi), powdered (½ tsp)
- Saffron (a pinch)
- Almond (badam), slivered (1 tsp )
- Grease a plate or tray with ghee and keep aside.
- Heat a tsp of ghee in a kadhai. Add the besan to it and stir-fry till it begins to let out an aroma. Keep aside.
- In the same kadhai, heat the remaining ghee. Add in the milk and sugar and keep mixing well till the sugar dissolves.
- Add in the grated coconut and the besan and keep stirring on a low flame for about 10 minutes. At this point, the mixture should start to bubble.
- Keep stirring the mixture, and remember to scrape the sides of the kadhai to prevent any burning.
- Continue stirring till the mix thickens and begins to leave the sides of the kadhai.
- Stir in the elaichi powder and the saffron and mix well.
- Switch off the flame and pour the concoction on to the greased tray.
- Using a spatula, evenly flatten the mixture.
- Allow the mix to cool for a few minutes before cutting it into the desired shapes.
- Leave undisturbed till the burfi cools down completely and then serve. Store in an airtight container.