In the node detail page
Sesame Seeds Chutney (Ellu Thogayal)
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Serves: 3 to 4 people
Spice Level: Medium
Til burns very easily, so be careful while roasting it - keep the flame on a medium level and keep stirring. Once it has started turning pink, remove it from the hot kadhai immediately.
- 1728 views
Sesame seeds chutney is a very popular side dish to rice or chappati. Tamil Sangam literature mentions that sesame seeds have been used extensively in Tamil homes since ancient times as they are naturally rich in heart-friendly oils and make for healthy food.
- White sesame seeds (safed til) (3 tbsp)
- Dry red chillies (sabut lal mirch) (5 to 6)
- Tamarind (imli), de-seeded (small, lemon-sized)
- Salt (to taste)
- Oil (1 tsp)
- Heat a kadhai and dry-roast the sesame seeds in it on a medium flame till they begin to splutter. Take care not to burn them.
- Transfer the roasted seeds onto a plate. Then, wash the seeds through a sieve for any mud in it to drain out.
- Add oil in a kadhai and fry the lal mirch in it.
- Meanwhile, soak the tamarind in a little water.
- Work up the sesame seeds, tamarind, lal mirch and salt in a mixer-grinder. It should turn into a smooth, thick paste. Then, add the soaked tamarind water to this and grind again.
- Serve Ellu Thogayal with urad dal rice, pappadam and ghee.