In the node detail page
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Low
The five dals should all be used in equal quantity to ensure the best taste. If the dal mixture looks thicker than necessary, then you could add in some boiled water and stir. You will then be able to get a medium consistency.
- 2537 views
Panchratna Dal is a delicious dish made by mixing five dals. It is a speciality of Rajasthan and is also known as ‘Panchmesha Dal’ or ‘Panchmal Dal’. It has a rather rich texture and taste and is thus often reserved for opulent parties, weddings and other special social occasions.
- Split pigeon peas (arhar dal) (¼ cup)
- Green gram (moong dal) (¼ cup)
- Black gram (urad dal) (¼ cup)
- Split chickpeas (chana dal) (¼ cup)
- Masoor dal (¼ cup)
- Salt (to taste)
- Ghee (1 tbsp)
- Asafoetida (hing) (a pinch)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) (½ tsp)
- Pepper (kali mirch) (6 to 8)
- Cloves (laung) (4)
- Green cardamom (hari elaichi) (2)
- Dry red chillies (sabut lal mirch) (2 to 3)
- Ginger (adrak) (1-inch piece)
- Green chillies (hari mirch), chopped (2)
- MTR Haldi Turmeric Powder (½ tsp)
- MTR Dhaniya Coriander Powder (1 tsp)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) powder (1 tsp)
- Coriander leaves (hara dhania), chopped (a fresh bunch)
- In a paraat (big, flat plate with shallow edges), add in all the dals, making sure that they are in equal quantity. Thoroughly wash and then soak them in water for an hour or so.
- Next, toss all the dals into a pressure cooker along with half-a-cup of water. Add in salt and the MTR Haldi Turmeric Powder and cook, timing it to 3 whistles.
- Turn off the flame and let the pressure cooker cool off on its own.
- Meanwhile, crush the black pepper, laung and elaichi with the help of a thistle.
- Heat ghee in a kadhai and toss in the jeera. As it begins to splutter, add in the lal mirch and the crushed spices mixture.
- Keep cooking for a while and then add this masala to the dal cooker. Mix thoroughly.
- Turn off the flame and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.