In the node detail page
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Serves: 2 people
Spice Level: Medium
While cooking rice for nellikai sadam, add a teaspoon of sesame oil to get the authentic non-sticky fluffy rice. Also, use grated gooseberry (amla/nellikai) instead of chopped ones, to give the rice a uniform flavour.
- 1898 views
Nellikai is the Indian gooseberry that is known as the ‘fruit of life’. It is believed to promote longevity. This tangy berry has many health benefits and is also believed to promote hair growth.
- Cooked rice (2 cups)
- Gooseberry (amla/nellikai) (2 large, grated)
- Fresh coconut (nariyal) (grated) (1 tbsp)
- MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp)
- MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder (1/4 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Sesame oil (til ka tel) (2 tsp)
- Mustard seeds (sarson) (1/2 tsp)
- Bengal gram (chana dal) (1/2 tsp)
- Split black gram (urad dal) (1/2 tsp)
- Green chillies (halved) (2)
- Curry leaves (1 sprig)
- Heat oil in a pan and temper with the ingredients given under ‘tempering’.
- Mix grated gooseberry, MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder, MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder, salt and cook over low flame for 5 mins.
- Add the cooked rice and grated coconut, stir well to mix.
- Serve the healthy and delicious nellikai sadam piping hot.