In the node detail page
Muttar Pulao (Green Peas Pulao)
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Medium
Remember that the Muttar Pulao should be well-cooked and yet the rice grains should stand apart and not stick to each other. To achieve this balance, be very careful with the measure of water in the rice - the ideal ratio is 2:1 (water to rice).
- 2203 views
Muttar Pulao is the simplest of rice preparations savoured across north India and served regularly at weddings. It goes well with Punjabi kadhi, or dal and papad.
- Basmati rice (2 cups)
- Oil (1 tsp)
- Onion, vertically chopped (½ cup )
- Garlic (lahsun) paste (2 tsp)
- Green chillies (hari mirch), finely chopped (4 to 6)
- Green peas (muttar) (1 cup)
- Coriander leaves (hara dhania), finely chopped (½ cup)
- Mint leaves (pudina), chopped (½ cup)
- Salt (to taste )
- Water (.)
- Thoroughly wash the rice and soak it in water for about ½-an-hour. Drain and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, boil the muttar along with water and a pinch of salt, timing it to 1 whistle.
- Heat ghee in a kadhai on medium heat. Toss in the onions, garlic paste and green chillies and keep sautéing for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Next, add in the drained rice and mix well. Keep sautéing for a minute, stirring intermittently.
- Next, pour in some water, cover the kadhai and let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Then, add in the muttar, chopped mint leaves and chopped hara dhania.
- Mix gently to ensure that the rice grains do not break.
- Cover and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and keep it covered for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with Punjabi kadhi or dal.