In the node detail page
- Duration: 30 minutes + soaking time
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Low
Make sure not to fry the samosas on high heat or they will turn out oily and soggy.
- 7978 views
The Mini Samosa is a pint-sized variant of the regular samosa. Unlike the regular samosa, which is best consumed fresh, the minis can be stored and savoured for 10 to 12 days after being prepared as they are stuffed with roasted moong dal and not the usual, and more perishable, potato mixture. The Mini Samosa used to be a fairly popular snack, but over the years has become a must-serve on Holi.
- Refined wheat flour (maida) (2 cups)
- Oil (1 cup)
- Salt (to taste)
- Green gram (moong dal) soaked for 6 to 8 hours in water with a pinch of baking soda ( 1/2 cup)
- MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- MTR Garam Masala (1 tsp)
- MTR Dhaniya/Coriander Powder (1 tsp)
- Salt (1 tsp)
- Dry mango powder (amchur) (1 tsp)
- Asafoetida (hing) (a pinch)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) (1 tsp)
- First, prepare the moong dal masala. In a mixer-grinder, work up the dal using minimum water.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and toss the jeera into it. As it begins to crackle, add in the hing and the dal paste. Stir well.
- Next, add in the salt, MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder, MTR Garam Masala, MTR Dhaniya/Coriander Powder and amchur powder. Keep stirring till the mixture has dried up.
- For the samosa crust, sieve the maida into a paraat (big, flat plate with shallow edges). Then, add in some salt and oil and mix it all very well.
- Next, add in a small quantity of water and make a smooth dough. Make small, round rolls with the dough.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten it out like a chappati, which should be around 4 to 5 inches in diameter.
- Then, cut it along the diameter into 2 equal halves. Pat some water along the diameter and join the edges to form a cone.
- Next, place a bit of the filling inside the cone and seal up the third side. Make about 5 to 6 of these.
- In a kadhai, heat oil and deep-fry the filled cones till they have become evenly light brown.
- Drain any excess oil on a rack or on a kitchen towel.
- Serve hot or cool.