In the node detail page
Masoor Dal Pulao (Lentil Pulao)
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Low
It is important to remember that this is not khichdi but a pulao, so the rice and dal need to remain fluffy and non-sticky.
- 1503 views
Masoor Dal Pulao is a distinctly Bengali dish that is served during the main course. It is simple to prepare and goes well with any side-dish. This Pulao is prepared using a combination of spices, rice and dal, and can be served with pickles, papad and raita.
- Rice, soaked in water for 15 minutes (2 cups)
- Red lentil (sabut masoor), soaked in water for 15 minutes (1 cup)
- Onion, finely chopped (2)
- Tomato, finely chopped (1)
- Black cardamom (badi elachi) (3)
- Garlic (lahsun), minced (2 cloves)
- Cloves (laung) (3)
- MTR Haldi Turmeric Powder (a pinch)
- Ginger (adrak), grated (1-inch)
- Green chillies (hari mirch), chopped (2)
- MTR Garam Masala (1 tsp)
- Salt (to taste )
- Coconut milk (2½ cups)
- Chopped vegetables (1 cup)
- Desi ghee (3 tbsp)
- Sugar (¼ tsp)
- Onion, finely chopped and caramelised (1)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) (½ tsp)
- MTR Garam Masala (½ tsp)
- Bay leaves (tejpatta) (1)
- Boil the rice till half-done and drain out the starch. Keep aside.
- In a pan, heat ghee and sauté the bay leaf, laung, jeera, badi elaichi, garlic, chillies, ginger, onion and salt in it.
- When the onions have turned translucent, toss in the vegetables along with the MTR Garam Masala, the MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder and tomato. Keep sautéing for a few minutes, or till the tomato has turned pulpy.
- Next, add the dal to the mix. Keep stirring well and sautéing till the mix has begun to let off a heady aroma.
- Now, pour in the coconut milk and combine well. If required, add in some water.
- Cover and let it keep cooking for 10 more minutes. Then, add in the half-done rice, salt, sugar and browned onions.
- Switch off the flame.
- When done, mix in 2 to 3 tbsp of desi ghee, garnish with caramelised onions and serve hot.