In the node detail page
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Serves: 4 people
Spice Level: Medium
Makhana masala has a crispy texture so make sure you roast the makhanas in ghee on a low flame, stirring constantly so that insides of the seed also turn crisp.
- 2224 views
No havan, wedding or other religious occasions in North India is considered complete without the offering of phool makhana in some form. Owing to its much revered status as food of the Gods, this fasting delicacy that can be enjoyed in sweet or savoury dishes too.
- Fox nut/lotus seeds (phool makhana) (2-3 cups)
- Clarified butter (ghee) (3–4 tbsp)
- MTR Kali Mirch/Black Pepper Powder (1 tsp)
- Mango powder (amchur) (1/2 tsp)
- Rock salt (sendha namak) (as per taste)
- Heat 3 tbsp ghee in a broad pan, add lotus seeds to it. Roast them on low heat while stirring consistently.
- Roast for about 10–12 mins or until they are crisp inside out.
- Add the remaining ghee, MTR Kali Mirch/Black Pepper Powder, amchur powder, salt and give it a good mix.
- Allow makhanas to cool at room temperature and store in an airtight jar.
- Serve these light, crunchy delights with tea or any beverage of your choice.