In the node detail page
- Duration: 8 minutes
- Serves: 2 people
Spice Level: Low
Lemon Bhath is best prepared with the Sona Masuri variety of rice; avoid Basmati as it overpowers the natural flavours of the other ingredients. Traditionally, this dish takes about 30 minutes to cook, but with MTR Rice Sevai, which replaces the rice in the original recipe, you can get the authentic taste and flavour in just 7-8 minutes.
- 924 views
The first mention of Lemon Bhath can be traced to about four centuries ago in the Yujur Veda. Popular as Andhra’s temple food, second only to tamarind rice, this rice with a distinct lemony flavour is also tinged with haldi to give it a beautiful soft yellowish colour. This no-fuss culinary delight from Andhra Pradesh holds out universal appeal and is eaten with great relish across the country.
- MTR Rice Sevai (450 gms)
- Water (3 litres)
- Mustard seeds (sarson) (1 tsp)
- Chana dal/Bengal gram split (3 tbsp)
- Dhuli urad dal/split black gram (1 tbsp)
- Green chillis, vertically split (2)
- MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Curry leaves (kadipatta) (Few)
- Cashews (Few)
- Oil (2 ½ tbsp)
- Grated coconut (2 tsp)
- Lemon juice (3 tbsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Boiled peas and chopped hara dhania (To Garnish)
- In a deep pan, boil the water. Then add the MTR Rice Sevai and a tablespoon of oil.
- The ratio of the water to rice sevai should be 3:1. Let the rice sevai cook for about 6-7 mins or till done.
- In the meantime, prepare the masala. In another pan, heat 1 ½ tbsp oil on a high flame.
- Then add the mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add chana dal, dhuli urad dal and cashews. Sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Now, add the green chillis, MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder, kadi patta and grated coconut. Stir and season with salt. Then add the lemon juice. Sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Check the rice sevai and if done, take off the heat and drain the water.
- Add the rice sevai in the prepared masala and stir to mix well.
- Take off the flame and garnish with boiled peas and hara dhania and serve hot.