In the node detail page
Khoya Matar Makhana
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Low
It is best to sauté the makhana in desi ghee on a medium flame till it has turned pinkish in colour. Raw makhana does not taste good in this dish.
- 2133 views
Khoya Matar Makhana is a rich main course Punjabi dish that is heavy on calories and is often reserved for special occasions like weddings. It is best served with tandoori rotis, naans or kulchas.
- Lotus seeds (makhana) (1 cup)
- Green peas (hari matar) (1 cup)
- Khoya, grated (1 cup)
- Onion, finely chopped (1)
- Tomato, finely chopped (2)
- Curd (dahi), beaten (½ cup)
- Ginger-garlic (adrak-lahsun) paste (1 tsp)
- Green chillies (hari mirch), finely chopped (1)
- MTR Haldi Turmeric Powder (½ tsp)
- MTR Lal Mirch Red Chilli Powder (½ tsp)
- MTR Dhaniya Coriander Powder (1 tsp)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) powder (1 tsp)
- MTR Garam Masala Powder (1 tsp)
- Fresh cream (1 tsp)
- Water (1 cup)
- Ghee (4 tbsp)
- Coriander leaves (hara dhania) (1 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Heat half-a-tsp of ghee in a kadhai and keep sautéing the makhana on a medium flame till they have turned pink. Once done, remove from flame and keep aside.
- In a pan, add the chopped tomatoes along with 1 cup of water and keep cooking till they have softened. Now, sieve the tomato soup into a separate bowl and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of ghee in a kadhai. Then, add in the onions and keep stir-frying till they have turned pinkish in colour.
- Next, add in the ginger-garlic paste, green chillies, the MTR Haldi Turmeric Powder, the MTR Dhaniya Coriander Powder, jeera powder and the MTR Lal Mirch Red Chilli Powder. Keep frying for about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the tomato soup with the curd, khoya and salt. Add this to the onion mixture and cook for a minute.
- Then, add in the makhana and boiled peas and keep cooking for a few minutes.
- Then, add in the MTR Garam Masala Powder and keep cooking for another minute.
- Garnish with hara dhania and swirl some fresh cream over it. Serve hot with tandoori roti or naan.