In the node detail page
Keerai Masiyal (Spinach mash)
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Serves: 2-4 people
Spice Level: Low
Use only fresh and preferably baby, spinach. This dish doesn’t use onions or garlic.
- 1475 views
Tamilians believe that it is essential for good health to consume Keerai or spinach at least once a week. Keerai Masiyal is a delicious simple spinach dish, which is nothing but mashed spinach tempered with spices. It is essentially a Tamil Brahmin specialty served with rice.
- Spinach (palak) (1 bunch)
- MTR Haldi Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Salt (To taste)
- Label (For tempering)
- Oil (1 tsp)
- Mustard seeds (sarson) (1 tsp)
- Rice (1 tbsp)
- Dry red chilli (sabut lal mirch) (1)
- In a kadhai, add the cleaned palak, salt and the MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder along with some water. Bring it to a boil. When cooked, remove from the stove and allow it to cool.
- After it cools down, grind it in a mixer to form a purée.
- In a pan, heat the oil and add sarson, sabut lal mirch and urad dal. Sauté till the dal turns pinkish.
- Pour this seasoning over the spinach mash.
- Enjoy with some hot rice and papad.