In the node detail page
Karuveppilai Sadam (Curry leaves rice)
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Serves: 2-4 people
Spice Level: Medium
You can powder the kadipatta in bulk and store it. This way, you can make this recipe with left over rice in no time.
- 6629 views
Karuveppilai Sadam or Karuveppilai rice is a unique Tamilian rice dish that’s prepared with kadipatta. Karuveppilai or curry leaves is a nutrient-dense herb, which has many medicinal values. It’s rich in Vitamin A, B, C, B12, calcium and iron. It simulates digestive enzymes and helps break down food more easily.
- Basmati rice (1 cup)
- MTR Haldi Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Salt (To taste)
- Label (To roast and powder)
- Curry leaves (kadipatta) (1 cup )
- Split black gram (urad dal) (1 tbsp)
- Split Bengal gram (chana dal) (1 tbsp)
- Garlic (lasoon) clove (1)
- Dry red chillies (sabut lal mirch) (4-5)
- Black pepper (kali mirch) (4-5)
- Coconut, grated (1 tbsp)
- Label (For seasoning)
- Asafoetida (hing) (a pinch)
- Mustard seeds (sarson) (1 tsp)
- Sesame seeds (til) (2 tbsp)
- Cook the rice with the required amount of salt and a pinch of the MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder. Keep it aside.
- Dry roast the dals, lasoon, kali mirch, dry red chillies and coconut till they turn golden brown. Roast on a low flame to avoid burning.
- Then, add the kadipatta and toss everything on a low flame till the leaves turn crisp. The whole roasting process should take about 10 minutes. Switch off and let it cool.
- Next, grind the roasted kadipatta mixture into a coarse powder. Keep it aside for later.
- Now, heat some oil in a kadhai and add sarson and hing to it.
- As it splutters, add the cooked rice and the ground kadipatta powder. Switch off the flame.
- Mix everything evenly by gently stirring it.
- Serve hot with raita and crispy papads.