In the node detail page
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Medium
Remember to always fry the Kalmi Vada on a medium flame. Also be careful to not burn them. Sliced vadas can be stored in the freezer for about a month.
- 5010 views
Rajasthan is a state known for its unique array of snacks. Kalmi Vada is one such popular Rajasthani snack that is made using besan and served with a spicy coriander chutney. Kalmi Vada can be prepared well-ahead in time and stored to be savoured as a tea-time snack for many days.
- Split chickpeas (chana dal) (½ cup)
- Coriander leaves (hara dhania), finely chopped (2 to 3 tbsp)
- Green chillies (hari mirch), finely chopped (2)
- Salt (to taste)
- MTR Lal Mirch Red Chilli Powder (½ tsp)
- Garlic (lahsun) paste (2 to 4)
- Onion (½ cup)
- Ginger (adrak), grated (½-inch piece)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) powder (½ tsp)
- Asafoetida (hing) (a pinch)
- Overnight-soak the chana dal in water. Grind or blend the soaked dal to make a fine paste.
- To the chana dal paste, add the green chillies, the MTR Lal Mirch Red Chilli Powder, garlic paste, finely chopped onions, jeera powder, hing and salt and mix properly.
- Divide the mixture into equal portions. Take one portion and shape it into a vada by flattening it out on your palm.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Slide the vada into the hot oil and deep-fry till it is light brown in colour.
- Repeat with all the other portions.
- Cut the vadas into long strips and deep-fry again till they are golden brown and crisp.
- Serve hot with coriander chutney.