In the node detail page
- Duration: 25 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Once the rice is cooked, stir it lightly with a fork - this will keep the grains from sticking to each other. Keep the lid of the pressure cooker open while cooking, or else the steam will further cook the rice and make it sticky.
- 1561 views
Jeera Rice is a simple, home-cooked rice recipe which when cooked in desi ghee is very flavourful. Punjabis tend to not consume plain steamed white rice much, so they prefer to prepare Jeera Rice instead.
- Basmati rice (1 cup)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) (2 tsp)
- Bay leaves (tejpatta) (1)
- Clove (laung) (4)
- Cinnamon (dalchini) (1 stick, 1-inch)
- Desi ghee (1 tbsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Wash the rice 2 to 3 times in fresh water and then soak it for half-an-hour.
- In a deep-bottomed vessel, heat the ghee. Then, add in the tejpatta, laung, dalchini and jeera. Keep stir-frying for a minute.
- Drain the water from the rice and add the rice to the vessel.
- Then, add in 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Cover with a lid and lower the flame.
- Keep cooking on a low flame till the rice is done and the water has evaporated.
- Serve the Jeera Rice hot with Punjabi kadhi pakora or raita.