In the node detail page
Green Pea Kheer (Hari Matar Ki Kheer)
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Zero
Remember that the peas should be young, sweet, crisp and of good quality.
- 4414 views
An unusual dish, the Hari Matar Ki Kheer is prepared by cooking mashed peas with condensed milk, sugar and cardamom. It is a winter delicacy popular in Punjab and Uttar Pradesh.
- Milk (1 litre)
- Ghee (1 cup)
- Green peas (hari matar), boiled and crushed (½ cup)
- Sugar (1 cup)
- Green cardamom (hari elaichi) powder (1 cup)
- Raisins (kishmish) (1 tsp)
- Pistachio (pista) (10 to 15)
- Peel and wash the matar. Then, run it through a mixer-grinder till it has turned into a smooth paste.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add the matar paste to it and sauté for 5 minutes. Keep aside.
- In a kadhai, boil the milk and add the crushed matar to it. Mix well. Let it boil till the milk has reduced to half of its original quantity. Keep stirring continuously.
- Then, add in the sugar, elaichi powder and kishmish and mix well again. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes on a low flame.
- Matar Ki Kheer is ready!
- Serve hot, or chilled with garnished pistachios.