In the node detail page
Fried Gram Dal Chutney (Pottukadalai Thogayal)
- Duration: 10 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Medium
In case you are not a garlic eater, you can replace it with a pinch of hing/asafoetida. Also, if you are health conscious, it is a good idea to reduce the quantity of coconut used in the recipe.
- 1376 views
This chutney is made specially to go with lemon rice. Roasted Bengal gram is known as ‘pottukadalai’ in Tamil Nadu. Pottukadalai is one of the most commonly found items on the Tamilian grocery list as it is used in a variety of dishes and chutneys that the state is famous for.
- Split chickpeas (chana dal) (¼ cup)
- Coconut, grated (1 tbsp)
- Green chillies (hari mirch) (2 to 3)
- Salt (to taste )
- Garlic (lahsun) (2 to 3 cloves)
- In a pan, dry-roast the chana dal for 2 to 3 minutes, taking care not to burn it.
- Transfer the gram dal into a mixer-grinder jar and add in the grated coconut, green chillies and garlic cloves.
- Work up the ingredients to get a thick paste, adding very little water.
- Serve with lemon rice.