In the node detail page
- Duration: 25 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Medium
Soak the brinjals in cold water immediately after cutting them, or else they will turn black. Dry them with a kitchen towel before applying on the spice mixture. You could also substitute fennel seeds with fennel powder, especially if you prefer a stronger aroma.
- 2622 views
Dahiwale baingan is a spicy brinjal curry cooked in a creamy, smooth yoghurt sauce. Popular in Maharashtra, it provides a tasty variation to the regular baingan sabzi. The use of aromatic fennel seeds and kasoori methi make this recipe rather unique in taste.
- Brinjal (baingan) (5 to 6)
- Onion, finely chopped (1)
- Oil (4 tsp)
- Fennel seeds (saunf) (1 tsp)
- MTR Garam Masala Powder (1 tsp)
- MTR Dhaniya/Coriander Powder (1 tsp)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) powder (1 tsp)
- MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder (3 tsp)
- Kasoori methi (1 tsp)
- Curd (dahi) (1 cup)
- Corn flour (1 tsp)
- Ginger-garlic (adrak-lahsun) paste (2 tsp)
- MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder (½ tsp)
- Wash and cut the baingan into 2-inch pieces.
- In a bowl, mix the ginger-garlic paste, MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder and MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder and apply this onto the baingan pieces.
- In a pan, heat 2 tsp of oil and gently slide the spice-coated baingan slices into it. Shallow-fry these slices on medium heat.
- In another pan, heat oil and add in the MTR Garam Masala Powder, saunf and onions. Keep frying till the onions have turned translucent.
- Next, add in the MTR Dhaniya/Coriander Powder, jeera powder, MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder and mix. Keep cooking till the oil has begun to separate from the mix.
- Take the pan off the flame and wait till it stops to sizzle. Then, pour in the dahi and mix quickly.
- Heat a pan and pour a glass of water into it. Keep stirring continuously and cook for 5 mins . Then, add in the corn flour and keep stirring for 2 mins.
- Next, add in the sugar, salt and kasoori methi and keep cooking for another 2 mins.
- Then, slide in the baingan pieces and cook for 2 more mins.
- Serve hot with rice or chappati.