In the node detail page
- Duration: 40 minutes
- Serves: 4–6 people
Spice Level: Medium
Traditionally, the grains of this khichdi are whole. So make sure to cook it on a low flame and don’t add too much water to it or it will turn mushy.
- 1738 views
Churhi in Sindhi means whole grains. This healthy, light-on-the-stomach-recipe is an irresistible comfort food in every Sindhi household served especially during summers.
- Rice (1 ½ cup)
- Split green gram (hara moong) (1/2 cup)
- Water ( 3 1/2 cup)
- Salt (to taste)
- MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder (1/4 tsp)
- Clarified butter (ghee) (2 tbsp)
- MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chili Powder (1/4 tsp)
- Wash and soak rice and dal together for 30 mins.
- After 30 mins, heat a heavy-bottom non-stick pan over medium heat. Drain and add the rice mixture to the pan.
- Add salt, MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder and MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chili Powder. Stir to combine.
- Pour 3 ½ cups of water and bring the khichri to a boil on high heat, once.
- Now reduce the heat to low and cook the khichdi till the water evaporates and grains are cooked through.
- Once the rice is cooked, heat ghee in a small tadka pan till it reaches smoking point.
- Pour the hot ghee over the prepared churhi khichdi and mix well.
- Serve the wholesome churhi khichdi piping hot with pickle and raita or sai bhaji.