In the node detail page
Cheruparayu Stew (Whole green gram stew)
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Low
- 1309 views
Cherupayaru Stew is yet another Keralan delicacy made with whole green gram simmered in coconut milk and seasoned with spices. This stew goes well with popular Malayalee breakfast favourites like Palappam, Puttu and Idiyappam. This recipe is slightly different from vegetable stew, as it doesn’t use whole garam masala.
- Whole green gram (sabut moong dal) (1/2 cup)
- Green chillies, slit (3 )
- Pepper powder (kali mirch) (1/2 tsp)
- Thin coconut milk (2 cups)
- Salt (To taste)
- Label (For Seasoning)
- Oil (2 tbsp)
- Mustard seeds (sarson) (1/2 tsp)
- Fennel seeds (saunf), coarsely powdered (1/2 tsp)
- Fennel seeds (saunf) (Coarsely powdered )
- Shallots (Small Onions), finely diced (1)
- Dry red chillies (sabut lal mirch) (2-3)
- Curry leaves (kadi patta) (1 sprig)
- Soak the green gram overnight in water.
- Pressure cook the dal in somewater along with green chillies and salt. Let it cook for 2 whistles onmedium heat.
- Allow the dal to cool for a bit. Then, add coconut milk along with kali mirch powder. Blend well. Simmer for 5minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat some oil in a non-stick pan and add sarson to it. As it splutters, add the saunf, onion, sabut lal mirch and kadipatta. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour the tadka/seasoning into the cooker and simmer the dal for another 3 to 4 minutes before switching off the stove.
- Serve the stew with appams or chapatis even.