In the node detail page
- Duration: 15 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Low
Squeeze in the juice of half a lime and add a pinch of garam masala to the rice while tossing it. The ghee in the recipe can be replaced with cooking oil. To get a rich flavour, garnish the dish with roasted peanuts or cashew nuts. If you are including ginger paste instead of finely chopped ginger, then put it in only after the onions have been added.
- 1452 views
Carrot rice is a simple-to-make winter recipe that is popular in Tamil Nadu. It is generally made using red carrots, as opposed to the orange ones, and thus has a tinge of sweetness to it. Needless to say, children love this dish.
- Rice (1 cup)
- Carrot, grated (1 cup)
- Onion, finely chopped (1)
- Green chillies (hari mirch) (2)
- MTR Haldi Turmeric Powder (¼ tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Ghee (1 tsp)
- Coriander leaves (hara dhania), chopped (for garnish)
- Black mustard seeds (sarson) (½ tsp)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) (½ tsp)
- Black gram (Urad dal) (1 tsp)
- Curry leaves (kadipatta) (1 strand)
For the masala
- Coriander seeds (sabut dhania) (1 tsp)
- Dry red chillies (sabut lal mirch), broken (3 to 4)
- Peanuts (1 tbsp)
- Coconut, grated (2 tsp)
- Wash and cook the rice in a deep-bottomed vessel. Once the grains are well done, drain out the starch.
- Spread out the rice on a tray so that the grains don’t stick to each other.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and add the jeera, sarson, kadipatta and urad dal to it. Once the sarson begins to crackle, add in the onion and green chillies and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next, add in the MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder and grated carrot and fry for another 2 or 3 minutes. Toss the mixture into the rice, and add salt.
- In a small pan, heat 1 tsp of oil and fry all the ingredients mentioned under the 'for masala' category until they have turned golden brown.
- Coarsely grind this mix and add the powder to the rice. Mix well. This will add flavour and crunch to the rice.
- Garnish with hara dhania and serve with raita and pappadam.