In the node detail page
Batata Vada (Potato Vada)
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Serves: 2-4 people people
Spice Level: Medium
Make sure that the besan batter is of a thick consistency so that it will coat the potato patty nicely.
- 2131 views
Batata Vada is easily one of the most popular fast food dishes in Maharashtra. The name Batata comes from Portuguese because they were the ones who introduced potatoes to India. Batata Vada consists of a mash potato tikki coated in besan and then deep-fried.
- Potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed (4)
- Chickpea flour (besan) (1 cup)
- Garlic (lasoon) (8-10 cloves)
- Green chillies, chopped (5-6)
- Ginger (adrak), crushed (1 inch)
- MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder (1 tsp)
- Coriander leaves (hara dhania), chopped (2 tbsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Oil (for frying)
- In a grinder, blend adrak, lasoon and green chillies into a fine paste.
- In a bowl, prepare a thick besan batter with water and the MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder .
- Heat some oil in a kadhai. Add the adrak-lasoon-green chilli paste and sauté for 1minute.
- Now, add the mashed potatoes and the MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder and mix well.
- Then, add hara dhania and salt and let the mixture cool.
- Once cool, make lemon-sized vadas from this.
- Finally, heat some oil in a kadhai for frying. Dip the potato vadas into the thick besan batter and deep fry till light golden brown.
- Drain the excess oil with some tissue paper. Serve hot with hara dhania-pudina chutney.