In the node detail page
- Duration: 25 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Zero
You can use frozen shredded coconut for making the Avalos. People who do not like lumps in the dish can powder it in a mixer-grinder. Also remember to keep stirring continuously so that the powder does not stick to the bottom of the kadhai.
- 1363 views
Avalos Podi is a very popular tea-time Malayali snack that is made by roasting rice flour and grated coconut. ‘Podi’ means ‘powder’ in Malayalam. Avalos Podi, if prepared properly, can be stored for upto 3 months in an airtight jar. It is usually eaten along with ripe bananas and sugar.
- Raw rice flour (2 cups)
- Fresh coconut, grated (2 cups)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) (1 tsp)
- In a paraat (big, flat plate with shallow edges), mix the rice flour and grated coconut, half of the jeera and salt. Keep aside for an hour.
- Heat a kadhai, add the remaining jeera into it and lightly roast. Then, add in the rice flour and coconut mixture.
- On a medium flame, keep stirring continuously till all of it has turned light brown.
- It takes about 20 to 25 minutes for the powder to get thoroughly roasted.
- Allow it to cool completely and store in an airtight container. Serve as required.
What are you craving for?
Maintained by: @The Digital Street