In the node detail page
Andhra Tomato Pappu (Tomato dal)
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Serves: 4–5 people
The consistency of the prepared dal should be medium and the dal should be mashed for better taste.
- 25020 views
Every Andhraite’s favourite, tomato pappu is an extremely flavourful tomato dal which tastes best with steamed rice. Do try it on a rainy day!
- Pigeon peas (arhar dal) (1 cup)
- Tomatoes, chopped (2)
- Onion, chopped (1)
- Green chillies, chopped (2–3)
- Mustard seeds (sarson) (1/2 tsp)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) (1/2 tsp)
- MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp)
- MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Curry leaves (kadi patta) (8-10 leaves)
- Asafoetida (hing) (a pinch)
- Ghee (clarified butter) (1 tbsp)
- Coriander leaves (hara dhania), finely chopped (1/4th cup)
- Wash and soak arhar dal in water for an hour. Heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker. Add sarson and as it pops, add jeera.
- Now, add chopped onions, kadi patta and green chillies. Sauté till onions are translucent.
- Now add tomatoes, MTR Lal Mirch Red/Chilli Powder, MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder, hing and salt. Mix well and sauté for two minutes on low flame.
- Add dal and water. Mix well and pressure-cook the dal through 3 whistles.
- Once it cools, open the lid and mash the dal lightly. Add 1 cup of water and stir well.
- Simmer dal for 5 minutes on low to medium flame till you get medium consistency.
- Garnish it with hara dhaniya and serve hot with rice and ghee.
Maintained by: @The Digital Street