In the node detail page
- Duration: 10 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Remember to use only freshly-soaked imli paste for this recipe, as that gives it a richer flavour. Also, avoid using packaged tamarind paste as it comes mixed with salt.
- 2323 views
This is a delicious appetiser drink that originated in Rajasthan and which is served with a meal or during any time of the day as a stand-alone beverage. It is essentially sweetened tamarind water that is spiked with kala namak, kali mirch and elaichi powder.
- Tamarind (imli) paste (2 tbsp)
- Sugar powder (½ cup)
- Pepper (kali mirch) (½ tsp)
- Green cardamom (hari elaichi) powder (½ tsp)
- Black salt (kala namak (½ tsp)
- Mint leaves (pudina), finely chopped (1 tbsp)
- In a deep-bottomed bowl, soak the tamarind in 2 cups of water.
- Mash the tamarind-water mixture. Then, squeeze and strain the pulp through a muslin cloth into another deep-bottomed bowl.
- Next, add in the powdered sugar, pepper, cardamom powder, black salt, salt and 3 cups of water. Mix well.
- Serve chilled, garnished with mint leaves.