In the node detail page
Varan Bhaat (Boiled rice and Arhar Dal)
- Duration: 25 minutes
- Serves: 2-4 people people
Spice Level: Low
Wash the dal well under cold water and soak it for 30 minutes. Mash the dal using a hand blender for a smooth consistency
- 1259 views
Varan Bhaat is an arhar dal and boiled rice recipe, which is made during the Ganesh Chaturthi festival in Maharashtra. It is served as an offering orbhog and is also a must atweddings. It’s a filling and non-spicy dish perfect during summer and is known for its unique presentation. The rice is first pressed into a vaati while it’s still hot, and then the vati is overturned onto a plate. Now, a small round,well-like partition is madein the middle of the rice, and the varan is poured into it.
- Split pigeon pea (toor or arhardal) (1 cup)
- Tomatoes, chopped (2)
- MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder (1 tsp)
- Salt (To taste)
- Mustard seeds (sarson) (1/2 tsp)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) (1/2 tsp)
- Asafoetida (hing) (A pinch)
- Garlic cloves (lasoon) (2-3)
- Green chilli (1)
- Curry leaves (kadipatta) (1)
- Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya), chopped (1 tbsp)
- Oil (1 tbsp)
For boiled rice
- Rice (1 cup)
- Water (2 cups)
- Salt (Optional)
- Wash the dal and pressure cook it with tomatoes and the MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder for 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure escapes naturally, open the lid and mash the dal.
- Once mashed, add 1 cup water and salt to it. Now, cook it on a low flame till you get the desired consistency. Switch off the stove and keep aside.
- Wash the rice and soak it for 20 minutes.
- Drain the water. Pressure cook the rice with the required amount of water for 2 whistles.
- Now, heat some oil in a kadhai. Add sarson and jeera. As soon as it starts crackling, add the hing, kadipatta, lasoon and green chilli.
- Fry till the lasoon turns brown and the kadipatta, crisp.
- Now transfer the dal into the kadhai. Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes on a low flame.
- Now, add the hara dhania and stir.
- Serve Varan Bhaat hot with the boiled rice.
What are you craving for?
Maintained by: @The Digital Street