In the node detail page
Bhindi Rice (Vendakkai Saddam)
- Duration: 15 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Medium
Always remember to properly fry the bhindis and to keep them crisp to get the ideal taste of this saddam.
- 7438 views
Vendakkai Saddam or Bhindi Rice is a Chettinad-style rice preparation that is known for its distinct spicy and tangy taste.
- Tomato, chopped (2)
- Okra (bhindi) (10)
- Onion, chopped (1)
- Rice (2 cups)
- Ginger-garlic (adrak-lahsun) paste (2 tbsp)
- MTR Haldi Turmeric Powder (½ tsp)
- MTR Garam Masala Powder (1 tsp)
- MTR Lal Mirch Red Chilli Powder (2 tsp)
- MTR Dhaniya Corriander Powder (2 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Coriander leaves (hara dhania), chopped (for garnish)
- Wash and cook the rice in adequate amount of water, along with some salt.
- Once done, drain out the starch and add required salt .
- Cut the bhindis into small pieces and sauté them along with a little salt and MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder till they are completely fried.
- In another pan, heat oil and sauté the onions till they have turned golden brown.
- Next, add in the ginger-garlic paste and stir for a few seconds.
- Then, add in the chopped tomatoes and fry till all their juice has dried up. Next, add the MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder, the MTR Garam Masala Powder, the MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder, the MTR Dhaniya/Corriander Powder and a little salt. Keep cooking till the oil begins to ooze out of this mixture.
- Add this mixture to the cooked rice and mix gently.
- Next, mix in the fried bhindi and make sure that the pieces are evenly spread out in the rice.
- Garnish with hara dhania and serve with raita.